23 July 2022
I have been renting villas around Chania region for the last 8-9 years. THEHOTEL.GR was a nice change in finding and reserving properties:
1) they are Greek - support the locals I say and tired of the nasty expats who barely speak any language and they cannot let go of the fact people come for holidays not to follow their rules;
2) Yannis, Emmanuel and Maria are amazing - no, I mean it: on a Sunday night at 10 pm you can still count on their help! Love you guys!
- The owner and host was very welcoming, showed us around and advised us of the best taverna (Aptera, the first you encounter on the right entering the little village).
- villa is perfect, please remember it is a house more than luxury villa, got all you need and then some. Beds are firmer (what I like), plenty of balconies with views of Souda Bay. Ground floor living space really spacious and open if you wish to spend a night in. The view from the living room is stunning. The pool is great, alas 1.75 mt max in the deepest bit so great for families, kids and to cool off (rather than full swimming).
- you will need a car - my usual supermarket (Synka) and restaurant on the beach (Elena) are both in Kalyves, 15 minutes drive down the coast. There is also a great fishmonger but go early (around 10ish) or you may miss out!
- locally, short and steep stroll (5 minutes) down the house, by main road you will find a convenient store which is, well… convenient! You get all you need. Proceeding to the right you enter the tiny hamlet of Aptera. There you have 3 main taverna opposite one another. Aptera Taverna is definitely the one with “hostess with the mostest”! She is just so warm and welcoming everyone tends to go there. Food is cooked to perfection - tons of options for vegetarians too.
- finally, get up early and stroll all the way up to Ancient Aptera - the archeological site is definitely worth visiting, don’t miss the theatre (there are 2 separate entrances) and it is €4 euro a person - you can pay contactless with Apple or Google pay too. Nice treat.
All in all, another great experience with THEHOTEL.GR and hosts - they never fail to impress! Thank you guys!